[humanser] The Endangered blind Psychotherapist

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 25 01:11:47 UTC 2013

Hello,

Merry introduced the topic and I've taken a bit to respond.  How do we as
blind mental health professionals confront thee fears of agency/department
managers for our safety.

I found that on being denied access to a patient on an inpatient unit due to
using a dog guide that inviting the managers to a local NFB meeting by
letter was successful as they came in with apologies and promises of reform.

I have found that informing management of my ability and experience with
agressive patients has not been successful, but when they view my skills in
verbal de-escalation they respond positively.  It takes time to build their
trust.

I am currently in a new clinic and the staff call on security when they fear
for my safety with potentially violent patients.  They don't realize that
some of the most dangerous patients I have worked with are little elderly
patients who are not as innocent as they appear to them.  Much of this comes
from staff fears of the African-American male and is not directly blindness
related.  Unfortunately as blind folks we are in a position of percieved
vulnerability.  In over 30 years of working with mentally ill patients the
most violent act I have suffered is being spit on by a young man who was
reacting to transferencial flash-backs.

So it goes.  Our best practice is to be available.  I respond to almost all
calls for "staff assistance" our hospital's response to potentially violent
patient situations.  Mostly I am marginalized, but at times I am a central
respponder.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System