[humanser] Drivers license requirement

Alyssa Munsell alyssa53105 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 13 17:51:16 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I am actually running into a similar issue as Anjelina. The issue with
technology that I described in my last post is not the only issue I have
with my internship for my Master of Social Work program. The internship is
not one that is offering me substantial experience for master's level
learning. The reason I'm able to still be at my internship without my
accessible technology is that I am really not doing much while at the site.
I told my field placement advisor at my college, and she agreed with me that
the experience I'm receiving is insufficient. She is in the process of
trying to find me a different internship. Where this relates to Anjelina's
concern, finding a new internship is extremely difficult due to my not being
able to drive.
Additionally, I am in an area where there is a very large and efficient
public transit system, Boston, Massachusetts. I actually moved to Boston
last year for the reason of public transportation.  A significant challenge
for me is that the social work field is much more heavily based in outreach
work (e.g. traveling to meet clients at their homes or in their
communities), as someone on this list already mentioned. This is also a
barrier to my finding a new internship. I am thinking that the barriers I am
facing with the internship process in regards to technology and driving are
the same barriers that will come up while trying to find employment, which
is why I turned to you all for advice.

My concern with the law about job requirements needing to be legitimate
requirements for the work is that it still does not ensure that employment
discrimination will be less of an issue because hiring discrimination is
often very covert and difficult to prove.

Like Anjelina, I am also very passionate about the mission and values of
social work and am feeling very discouraged when presented with the barriers
we've been discussing. Thank you for addressing these issues.