[humanser] Drivers license requirement for employment

Denise Shaible denise.shaible at att.net
Wed Oct 16 05:15:03 UTC 2013

I agree that sometimes you can disclose and somethimes you can't disclose.
When I was interviewing, I typically didn't disclose my disability before
the interview, except with my dog.  Let's say I was making a appointment for
an interview over the phone.  I'd wait until just near the end of the
conversation and then I'd tell the person on the phone that I was bringing a
dog.  I didn't make a big deal about it but, I felt that if an interviewer
was afraid of dogs or alergic, it might prejudice the interview.  Then, when
I got to the interview, I'd take my dog into the office with me because I
felt that if an employer was going to hire me, he or she was going to hire
my dog, too.

I've also had interviews where I knew the interviewer was prejudiced but, I
still went to the interview.  One time, an interviewer said a blind person
couldn't do the paperwork and my Rehab. Counselor and I took my CCTV, my
dog, and me to the intervview.  Even after I proved I could do the paperwork
with my CCTV, he still didn't consider me for the position.  Let's face it,
blind persons have to have it more together than anyone else interviewing
for a position and we can't take it personally if we don't get a position
but, we just have to keep on trying.

One more thing.  I agree that it's very important that a blind person has
confidence.  I once took a class on becoming employed.  One of my
assignments was to do a mock interview.  I found hat, as JD said, knowing
how to enter the office independently, shake hands and keep eye contact,
find my seat, and where to put my cane was very important.  There are so
many things to be aware of when interviewing.  It's sad that we have to play
those games but, it depends on how badly we want the position.

I hope this helps anyone planning to interview for a position.  Dressing for
success helps, too.  I always wore a business outfit to every interview.

Regards,

Denise