[humanser] Interview Tomorrow & Hospitals

MARY CHAPPELL MTC5 at COX.NET
Thu Oct 17 19:05:06 UTC 2013

Alysa,
First let me congratulate you on landing this exciting opportunity. Not sure
if you have worked with an O&M instructor  before but, sometimes having that
resource help you acclimated to an environment can be helpful and work
wonders for confidence. This probably would happen after you have the
internship secured. As far as navigating the hospital, I have found it
helpful to identify landmarks throughout the hospital. When I first went for
my interview I felt okay taking directions from concierge and security to
get to my department on the 6th floor. I accepted the offer for
accompaniment and joked that "it is always nice to have a new companion."
After that, Iidentified landmarks that helped me orient. My position takes
me throughout a 20-bed unit and I took my time to familiarize with the unit.
As my position has expanded and I have to go throughout the hospital seeing
patients in 398 beds, I ask for directions when a unit is not familiar.
Sometimes I inadvertently   wind up in places that I really did not want to
be, like the wrong room, I have introduced myself and noted my mistake with
a "I don't know why they keep moving these rooms on me..." Usually patients
laugh and tell me that they are grateful to have a pleasant communication
and I exit asking the  nurse to verbally direct me to where I am going. I
find not taking the "mistake" to seriously helps me and those in my midst .
I look forward to JD and other's response to your question because I would
like to broaden my techniques.
Mary Tatum Chappell, Psy.D.