[humanser] Tips on Presentations & Braille

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 12:32:54 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I did learn braille as a child, but here are a few tips I have.

First, I saw someone on the thread mention that it has taken them a
long time to get fluent with grade 1 braille.  While it is important
to know your letters, very few materials are written in grade 1, so
the time learning braille is best spent working on grade 2 and
contractions.  Those grade 1 letters are a part of grade 2, but
contractions make all the difference.

I like the suggestion of checking around your state.  See if someone
from the NFB will teach you.  If not, I know a woman in my affiliate
who does it as a TVI and as a tutoring type service, and even does
distance learning/teaching through Skype.

Read braille every day, even if it's just a little.  Don't not use the
skills you're working to learn and use them.

The audible teleprompter has a couple of issues.  First, it is a way
of bypassing braille and discourages people from learning it.  Giving
presentations with braille is a great way to work on fluency, even if
you're just reading an outline and verbally expanding upon it.  It
also doesn't look the most professional to have a wire trailing from
your ear every time you get up to speak.

Just some thoughts.  Hope they help.

--
Kaiti