[humanser] Tips on Presentations & Braille

Alyssa Munsell alyssa53105 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 20:42:29 UTC 2013

Wow, thank you so much everyone for sharing your thoughts and stories. It
really means a lot to me. So here's my situation...
I used to be completely sighted until I unexpectedly lost a lot of my sight
from a brain tumor when I was 17; thus, I grew up reading and writing
visually. At the last NFB convention I was at a couple years ago, I bought a
training book on reading Grade 1 Braille. I would say that I know most of
Grade 1, but am definitely far from proficient in it. I am thinking that I
might want to learn Grade 2 Braille because it would be quicker to read
notes and such. However, just learning Grade 1 is very challenging for me. I
feel a little discouraged because I am starting my internship tomorrow,
which I'll have 3 days a week 9 to 5, and then classes all day Wednesdays,
so my time is very limited, unfortunately. I'm not confident that I will be
able to learn Braille and use it proficiently in time for when I will need
it. But I'm thinking it's better to at least start and take it a step at a
time.

I greatly appreciate this list and having this type of support during this
critical time in my life. I'm starting to enter into the professional world
in a more significant way than I have previously, and being able to consult
with others in the same field who are also blind/visually impaired is
invaluable.

Best,
Alyssa