[humanser] Academic/Professional Update and Request for Advice

Kelsey Nicolay kelseynicolay1989 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:10:14 UTC 2014

Hi Sarah,
This is a good question.  I think you should think about your
skills.  You mentioned your orientation and mobility skills are
good, but would you be able to negotiate a big city's bus system
independently? With regard to assistive technology, your skills
have to be really solid in order to participate in a master's
program.  I think the majority of coursework is on the computer
now, even paperwork.  Do you know how to use a sanner for books
and other materials? These are just some questions to consider.
If you really think a training center would be best, you could
probably defer acceptance to the graduate program and you might
be able to get a refund, I don't know.  I don't have much
experience with grad schools and how that all works, but I would
call the admisions office and see what they say.  Regarding the
VR issue, I really can't advise you, but maybe if you write a
letter explaining your need, they might be willing to help you.
Sorry for the many questions, but I'm just trying to get an idea
of your skills.  I've not attended a training center, but I have
talked to people who have and they say it's worth it.
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay