[humanser] Academic/Professional Update and Request for Advice

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Mon Apr 7 15:38:19 UTC 2014

Hello Sarah,
If training at an NFB Center is important to you, I believe you should make
the time to go and get the training you want. You have laid out very nicely
the reasons you feel you would benefit from such training, and I am sure
your NFB state president, or others in your affiliate, would help you make
these arguments and win your case if necessary. It is possible though that
you might not have a fight on your hands... That depends a lot on your
individual counselor and Rehab services in your state in general. There will
never be a "right" time for anything... But, certain times are better than
others in my opinion and experience. I believe it will only get harder to go
for training once you have finished school. You may be offered a job right
away. You may meet someone and decide to marry, or be in a serious
relationship and not want to take time away from that for training. You
could even have a child, and once that happens, it's very hard to make time
for training. I'm not saying any of this will happen, but you do need to
seriously consider the direction your life could take in the next couple of
years and take that into account when thinking about going for training now
or waiting. Also, will the fight for training with rehab get any easier if
you've been successful in grad school and then go for training? I would
argue it might be even harder because they can point to a host of successes
and use them as evidence about why you don't need training. If you get good
training now, you will be more ready for grad school and what comes after.
	I have never deferred acceptance into an academic program, but I
know many people who have. It is usually not difficult to do, especially if
you explain what you are doing, how long it will take, etc. Certainly summer
programs at our training centers are also options you can consider. My
husband, for example, went to the CCB for about three months between college
graduation and the start of an Executive Training Program at Sears. He
gained a lot from the program, even though he was there for a short time. He
really worked hard to get as much out of the program as he could because he
knew he would not have the usual six to nine months. He did gain a lot, but
it was somewhat of a whirl wind experience. I'm not sure if he would
recommend that approach to others or not. Let me be clear; he actually
attended the adult program at CCB; he did not attend a college program. I'm
not sure if there was a college program at that point or not. I have worked
summer high school and college programs, and would suggest looking into the
possibility of going into the adult program either for a shorter stay, or
for the entire program if that's what you decide to do. Summer programs are
fantastic, but having finished college all ready I believe you would get a
lot more out of the true adult program.
Ultimately, of course, these decisions are completely up to you. I wish you
the very best with whatever you decide.
Melissa