[humanser] new volunteer opportunity could become paid!

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 23 11:58:35 UTC 2014

Ericka:

Excellent news.  The art of networking, the act of volunteering, both of
these lead to better things.  Applause!

JD
-----Original Message-----
From: Ericka Short
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:30 PM
To: Human Services Mailing List
Subject: Re: [humanser] new volunteer opportunity could become paid!

I figured this list needed some cheering up.  I witnessed the power of
networking today.  I was at a local taskforce with the goal to improve
education in our committee.  The group  is a member of the Gammeliel
foundation, a group of interfaith advocacy groups that work on social
justice issues.

Faith aside, I had a marvelous conversation with the principal from one of
the low income schools in town.  I was saddened that she didn't have a
guidance counselor in her building even though most of the students could
benefit more so than a school with predominantly middle class kids.  She
told us no urban elementary school in the city has more than a part time
school counselor.  I offered to come to do be a TA and was willing to work
with kids on social stuff too.  She was delighted and said I can work any
day.  The principal took my name and other contact information.  Of course
it's not a done deal, but my friend is one of the teachers there and I have
another friend that  subbed there on and off for years.  I think I have a
good chance to start helping at least with summer school.  I'll keep you all
updated, but if this really works out and I decide to go to grad school to
do school counseling, then it will be worth it.  I am sure she'd take me
before I had the paper if the district would agree to it.  Of course I have
to prove my weight in gold first or it doesn't matter.  Equal work, equal
pay and equal heart into the job or you don't deserve it.  Where money comes
from to pay for school, who knows right now.  I have to deal with my vr
counselor tomorrow when I call to set up an appointment.  I am so excited!!!
Prayers are always welcome!  I am hoping through this opportunity that I
solidify  this career is a meld of two passions--education and social work.
In college I couldn't' decide so I was there a long time.  I"ve also scored
a meeting over the phone with a career counselor from my alma mater so I
have plenty to talk to him about this coming Monday.  So crazy but it's
getting me focused.  Never dreamed this would happen.  I never dreamed of
going to grad school. I have to see if my old high school guidance counselor
is still alive.  He would be tickled. Anyone remember Doso the dolphin that
taught social skills to grade school kids in the 70's?  I loved the time we
had.  I should have known if I remember this after 30 plus years.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13
"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short