[humanser] volunteers

Sandy sandraburgess at msn.com
Sat Jan 25 07:28:04 UTC 2014

Ericka,

I worked for them for ten years coordinating a community volunteer program.
Admittedly the name chaged a few times from what I wrote, but it now is
either Mass. Association for the Blind Community Services, or just Mass.
Assoc. for the Blind.  However, the groups never included family members.
Now, long ago, a minister with low vision and elderly came to visit my
church with his wife and to talk with us.  After the service, he and I
talked and he had organized what you are thinking of doing:  there was a
group of those going through loss of sight and, concurrently, a separate
group for family members.  I think that separateness may make group members
more comfortable speaking about issues with family members, and the same for
the sighted people in a group.

Best,

Sandy