[humanser] Helpful masters degrees

Alyssa Munsell alyssa53105 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 25 14:34:11 UTC 2014

I think Jen's idea is great. Look up job descriptions for the type of
position you want and see what qualifications employers are looking for. I'm
getting my master's in social work right now, so I can only speak to that
degree. This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think a degree in
social work is the best option for someone who knows they want to stick to
doing mental health counseling. I'm in a clinical social work program, so
there are a lot of people in my program who would ultimately like to do
mental health therapy. However, the roots of social work lye in social
justice, not mental health therapy. Being a social worker should involve an
interest in pursuing social justice at a larger macro level in addition to
direct clinical work. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think social
work has strayed too far into becoming  solely a mental health services
profession, and the critical value of the advocacy piece of social work is
getting increasingly overshadowed. There is definitely nothing wrong with
professions that focus on mental health. There are just more relevant
options than social work for people who know that is what they want to focus
on, such as counseling and therapy programs.

It may be a good idea for you to also research graduate programs and their
curriculums so you can get a sense of what types of skills you would be
learning in one program vs. another. Best of luck!

Alyssa