[humanser] volunteers

Sandy sandraburgess at msn.com
Sat Jan 25 20:43:41 UTC 2014

Jan,

Well, I am almost 63 and Gram died like in the 1970's.  She was always upset
if her children had imperfections, so went years not letting her daughter
have glasses.  The school would tell her marion couldn't see the board, and
my grandma just considered that her child was near sighted was something
with which she could not cope with well.  I think it was when she couldn't
see to drive a car that Marion got glasses, or that incident happened with
my dad who also needed them.  My dad was born with one arm partly paralyzed,
which must have really freaked grandma out!  My cousin, the firstborn
grandchild, gave birth in the 60's to a child with a heart defect, and deaf
blind.  The child was allowed to visit, and not me.  I was the youngest
grand kid.

  Currently the cousin whose daughter is deaf blind does not want me with
family for Christmas and Easter, which are the days family is at her home.
Supposedly, as my aunt told me, my cousin said her brother's grandchildren
were brats, and what would happen if they bothered my guide dog.  Anyway,
the first year without my folks, no sibs, my aunt called to say why I would
never have Christmas or Easter with them.  Now, this past Christmas, it
seems my other cousin spoke to my aunt, and my aunt invited me for
Christmas.  When she called, she kept saying she had to hurry because her
daughter would soon be home.  Guess they just told Carol I was coming.  My
aunt is 97, pretty sharp, learned Braille and used to do stories, greeting
cards, etc. with a slate and stylus.  She also did much raising of her grand
child who is deaf blind, learning ASL.  At a gathering, my cousin said, "You
can ask me about David and Karen, but, if you want to know about my
daughter, Ellen, ask my mother."  Just some family drama for you all.

Sandy