[humanser] Helpful masters degrees

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 04:08:55 UTC 2014

Hello all!

I'm impressed with the foresight all of you younger folks have.  I was so
sick of college I just wanted to get out of the classroom and into a job.
At graduation I had a wedding coming up and that changes things sometimes.
Had I foreseen that I wouldn't be raising children and some other medical
issues I probably would have  gotten certified right out of college and gone
on to graduate school.  Of course insight doesn't usually come at the right
time.  I am so happy you are focused and know what kind of jobs you want.  I
didn't have a particular direction calling to me.  All I knew is that I
wanted to work with the elderly.  Now I have a better idea of what I like to
do.

Something Alyssa mentioned pushed me to post.  She's right about social
work.  They focus more on the micro picture than on the bigger world picture
and making a difference for populations.  Historically social workers were
the ones to lobby for  improvements in safety, health care and living
conditions.  Now they focus more on clients face to face, especially mental
health.  We have a lack of psychiatrists and psychologists in the nation
practicing so these mental health workers are filling in the  gaps I guess.
I agree that advocacy is a very important skill for someone in any helping
profession.  There are places that are starting to offer community
organizing programs.  I was taught some advocacy skills from a faith based
group I'm a part of, but if you can make this a part of your graduate
training some how that is wonderful.  NFB does a lot of advocacy but their
style isn't always the best for certain situations.

Best of luck as you enjoy your last few years of school Kait and I’m sure
you'll know what's right for you when the time comes.  You  have some
research to do, but everyone here has given out better advice than  any
advisor in college ever gave me.  This list is a blessing!
Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short