[humanser] Helpful masters degrees

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 26 14:50:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

Good planning.  You are correct to be doing so now.  A social work major now
would shorten your graduate school to a single year.  Likewise, occupational
therapists have many pre-requisites.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaiti Shelton
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:22 PM
To: Human Services Mailing List
Subject: Re: [humanser] Helpful masters degrees

Thank you all for the suggestions!  I have started looking into social
work as a possibility too.

I'm still in the really early stages of figuring this out, and it's
okay since I'm only in my second year of undergraduate work, but I
know I really want to work with kids.  I have been thinking about it,
and although I have to consider social work a bit more, I was thinking
counseling or OT would be good.  If I weren't able to work with cancer
and hematology patients, I think I'd want to work with kids who have
disabilities and teach them some rehabilitation stuff.  I have found a
music therapist who has a masters in OT and uses both methods to do
this kind of work, and she says it's really effective and can be used
with almost any client.  I think I'm leaning towards OT at the moment,
but we'll see how it goes.

--
Kaiti