[humanser] Helpful masters degrees

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 15:31:11 UTC 2014

What is O.T.

-----Original Message-----
From: humanser [mailto:humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Kaiti
Shelton
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2014 10:13 AM
To: Human Services Mailing List
Subject: Re: [humanser] Helpful masters degrees

That's really interesting.  I think I have a very specific set of
populations I want to work with, so I'm not exactly sure social work will be
for me.  I know I want to work with kids.  I think my dream job would be to
work in a pediatric hospital and possibly on a hematology and oncology unit
to be specific, but if that weren't able to be worked out I'd like to do
some sort of the rehabilitative stuff with kids who have disabilities.  That
is where my strenghths lie, and the age group I really feel connected to.  I
also feel like I can empathize pretty well with kids in those situations
because I have spent a lot of time around kids who have severe multiple
disabilities, and I was in and out of the hospital quite a bit when I was
really young.  That's why I'm leaning towards the OT; I could combine music
therapy and OT to help a cancer patient learn to walk with a prosthetic, or
increase the range of motion for a child who has Cerebral Palsy.  I may also
need to get a masters in MT too if the American Music Therapy Association
goes to masters level entry for the field, but we'll see how it goes.

On 1/27/14, Sandy <sandraburgess at msn.com> wrote:
> At one time, Springfield College had a major called Community
> Leadership and Development.  Scotty, a professor, took students to
> Honduras and similar developing countries where they learn about the
> situations and helped somewhat, I guess.  When my neighborhood began a
> community council, one of the things we did was to attend a meeting to
> speak against yet another bar moving in to the area.  I circulated
> flyers to let residents know of the meeting.  At the meeting there
> were some students in that major egging us on to speak out and tell
> the Commission how we felt.  I am not sure what, if any, major has
> replaced what was known as CLD, but Springfield College has always been a
college entrenched in human services education.

> Sandy

>> Hello all!
>>
>> I'm impressed with the foresight all of you younger folks have.  I
>> was so sick of college I just wanted to get out of the classroom and into
a job.
>> At graduation I had a wedding coming up and that changes things
sometimes.

>> Had I foreseen that I wouldn't be raising children and some other
>> medical issues I probably would have  gotten certified right out of
>> college and gone on to graduate school.  Of course insight doesn't
>> usually come at the
>>
>> right time.  I am so happy you are focused and know what kind of jobs
>> you want.  I didn't have a particular direction calling to me.  All I
>> knew is that I wanted to work with the elderly.  Now I have a better
>> idea of what I like to do.
>>
>> Something Alyssa mentioned pushed me to post.  She's right about
>> social work.  They focus more on the micro picture than on the bigger
>> world picture and making a difference for populations.  Historically
>> social workers were the ones to lobby for  improvements in safety,
>> health care and living conditions.  Now they focus more on clients
>> face to face, especially mental health.  We have a lack of
>> psychiatrists and psychologists in the nation practicing so these
>> mental health workers are filling in the  gaps I guess. I agree that
>> advocacy is a very important skill for someone in any helping
>> profession.  There are places that are starting to offer community
>> organizing programs.  I was taught some advocacy skills from a faith
>> based group I'm a part of, but if you can make this a part of your
graduate training some how that is wonderful.

--
Kaiti