[humanser] Questions about practicum and documentation

Kaiti Shelton via humanser humanser at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 16:55:46 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Here is a little more information.

The disabilities office has generally not been very helpful.  I had an
issue with another music class last semester, and  they kind of threw
their hands in the air because they knew nothing about music.  The
music department has even contracted out to do my acccomodations (all
my braille music is even handled through them).  I think I've finally
started to get them to come around and realize that their job is to
advocate for a student whether or not they are familiar with what they
are studying, but it's been a long few months to get to that point,
and two major issues in classes I need for my major have happened.
Meanwhile, as I said before, all the professors I'll only have once
for gen eds have been fine.

I have a really good relationship with this music therapist.  I
volunteered/job shadowed her for four years in high school, and helped
out in some of the group sessions she led.  I made some really good
observances of things she does to accommodate herself, E.G, whenever
someone comes in and doesn't remember to say who they are, she asks.
She also has a closet for all her instruments and stuff that is
impeccably organized (and possibly also braille labeled if I can
remember correctly), and those are things I definitely would do.

In practicum, my major issues were seeing movement, and also knowing
who was there.  WE had a very large group of 15 to 20 residents to
work with.  Some were regulars who came every time, and I formed good
therapeutic relationships with them.  I also learned these people's
voices because generally, they were the more verbal members of the
group.  On the last session I used a hello song and went around the
circle.  I had every person say their name for the group, and I tried
to remember at least the general directions of where everyone was
sitting.  That was a little challenging though with such a large
group, at least for the majority of the people there who were not
voluntarily shouting out answers to questions about the music or were
contributing to conversation.  The hello song method also has its
limitations, because with a group that large it can take a while to
get through everyone, and a hello song ideally should not take a ton
of time because it takes away from the other experiences.  Anyway, I
did contact the music therapist to ask her how she handles
documentation, and to see if she has any ideas for knowing who is in
the room and where they are sitting if having them come through the
door and announce themselves isn't an option (We have to drive to the
practicum site off-campus, and the group is set up when we get there
so we can make the full use of our half hour).  She told me that the
type of documentation I was doing was significantly more specific than
anything she'd ever had to fill out, and that is likely due to changes
in the policies for students made in the past 20 or so years.  We
agreed that the issue seemed to be that the professors needed to know
how to have realistic expectations for accommodated documentation, and
it would be great to have them talk with her to brainstorm, which of
course was the plan from the beginning anyway, but now we knew it
needed to happen.

J.D makes a good suggestion which I would love to use, however the set
up of the group would not lend itself to that.  WWe had the residents
positioned in a semicircle, with our chair for leading the session in
the middle so all could see.  Sometimes we'll go kneel down in front
of a resident, but sitting next to them usually isn't available to us.
 It all really depends on how they're set up, and moving them would be
time consuming since we would need to call in staff to do it.  I could
try talking to the music therapist who works there to see if seating
might be able to be modified, E.G, leave an empty chair between groups
of 2 or 3 people, but I don't know if she could even guarantee that to
happen every session.

My mom actually thought of an accommodation I am going to try.  I told
her about the movement issue, and she said that the easiest thing to
do would be to ditch the chairs they have us using for a doctor's
stool.  This way I could swivel and wheel myself around the group to
get close enough to see movements, but I can be on their eye level and
still encorperate foot movement.  Granted, my mom is a pretty creative
person and has experience with modifying things because she's a
pre-school teacher, but I'm surprised that she thought of such a
simple accommodation that professionals who are trained to adapt
sessions to individual client needs did not.  There is bound to be a
doctor's stool in the nursing home I could possibly borrow, and if not
then I'll gladly buy my own.  It was just shocking to her that no one
was really working with me on this, because they do it for their
clients all the time.

I am not going to sue the school, because I think that is the last
thing that I should do to get my professors to help me, but I am
really irritated by the fact that I'm trying to have my needs met so I
can demonstrate proper documentation, and they throw it in my face
that I didn't advocate well, and they don't know how to teach me
professional standards in a way that is accessible.  To me, that seems
like a crutch to try to avoid taking ownership for their failure to
follow up where they said they would.  I am also irritated that I will
need to stay in school for a fifth year, but that is a side effect of
all of this, and it could get even worse if something isn't done to
help it.

--
Kaiti