[humanser] Questions about practicum and documentation

Sandy via humanser humanser at nfbnet.org
Thu May 15 00:17:49 UTC 2014

Hello to all,

You know, some of the worst offenders are those who are in some sort of
helping field, such as rehab and social work.  I have never, never
understood how Springfield College, with its rather large rehabilitation
services, does not provide accommodations.  At least now their office and
classrooms are in a building thart now has an elevator.  Over the years many
students with disabilities have taken that major.  It used to be the office
was on the third floor in an old former factory building.  One day a
professor told me of a student who couldn't climb due to his disability, and
how the man spent 15 minutes to get up all the steps, and another 15 to get
down.

 The one neat thing, when I took sme rehab classes, was the knowledge of a
professor named Raymond Berte.  He had cancer, had his voice box removed,
was told he would never teach.  He continued to teach, learning to speak by
burping up air and amplifying his voice.  He developed more cancer and left
the States to get a drug not legal here; eventually he died.  I have not
researched to get his book, but know he wrote a book on his story and
philosophy -- had a positive viewpoint. One evening class was somewhat scary
cause he had a guy he counseled speak to us about rape because the guy had
raped I don't remember how many people.

Sandy