[humanser] Recording for note taking

Dr. Chappell via humanser humanser at nfbnet.org
Sat May 24 08:29:11 UTC 2014

I am wondering if anyone on this list has in depth familiarity with ADA
mandates regarding reasonable accommodations in the work place. After
recording notes in all personnel meetings, committee meetings, and staff
meetings for the past 5 years, since my hire date, I was denied the
opportunity. Today, when I arrived at what I perceived to be an  oddly timed
last minute meeting I was told that I would not be able to record the notes
during a meeting that was solely about my role. When I reminded the unit
manager that this is and always has been my means of note taking, she told
me that "recording had never been authorized and would not be allowed. I
declined the meeting and noted I would not meet without being able to take
notes. I was told that someone in HR could attend and take notes on my
behalf. When I agreed to this, I was told that this option would not be
available for this meeting as that resource had not been  notified. I
requested that the meeting be rescheduled. Though the two individuals who
had scheduled the meeting seemed aggravated by my request, I believed it to
be a reasonable accommodation.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the topic of reasonable accommodations in
the workplace?