[humanser] Writing Class-HELP!

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 13 21:59:41 UTC 2015

Danielle,

This idea of a reader is a great solution and glad someone mentioned it.
Getting your papers emailed to you is impractical. In my experience, you
will not know who your partner is in class to do the editing and critiquing.
Also, I think asking students to email you ahead of time is really unfair to
them. Then you have an electronic copy of their paper that you could
potentially use as your own. But more importantly, it sets an unfair
deadline for them. Students may work on their paper the day it is due as a
draft. They have no time to email you. And, besides, as I said no one knows
who their partner is, unless its different in grad school. In undergrad, in
writing classes, we had different partners every time. It never even
occurred  to me to ask people to send me their papers electronically. I
could not read any handouts in class or student papers, so I did the best I
could with readers.

I did what you did. I got a classmate to read it to me.
I would then give my feedback orally and for any punctuation errors, I'd
tell them where to write it on their paper.
Usually, correcting grammar was not an instruction. We focussed on more
global issues like clear thesis statements and supporting your claim and
organization of supporting evidence.
I could hear the flow of the writing as it was read aloud. But, if grammar
and punctuation was a problem, which you will notice by hearing it, you can
request the punctuation be read.

Sometimes the professor will also help by reading papers to me.

This old fashioned way works well.

Ashley