[humanser] Paying to Join the Federation

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:37:30 UTC 2015

Hi, Paul,

Glad to hear that someone has personally delivered the message.  This
thread is great, but it certainly can't beat a person-to-person
conversation on the topic.

In case anyone was interested in a breakdown of sorts to see what the
"average" student Federationist might pay a year, I did the math based
on my own Federation expenses for dues only.  I'm not counting
donations to chapter or student division projects or fees I pay for
fundraisers here, or convention registrations and banquet ticket
costs.
$5 dues for NABS, X2 for state student division.
$10 dues for Human Services.
$5 for Performing Arts Division.
$5 Ohio NAPUB.
$5 Cincinnati chapter dues.

That's only 35 dollars a year for an entire network of mentors,
friends, and professionals I can turn to, and it spans everything from
human services, to the performing arts, to braille literacy and more.
My professional organization, even at the student rate, charges
significantly more than that.  Even bookshare is more expensive at the
standard non-student rate.

Fun fact: Dr. and Mrs. Maurer are dues-paid members of the Ohio
Association of Blind Students this year and then some.  They were our
representatives at our convention last November and I believe Dr.
Maurer paid dues to several Ohio divisions.  He paid into OABS because
all the divisions of the NFB, large or small, are connected and any
success for them, or any chapter or affiliate, is success for the
movement.  It's not much to pay $5 or $10 here or there whenever
you're in a division or chapter collecting them because it's all going
towards success.