[humanser] Looking for Professional Sources on the topic of challenges that Counselors with Disabilities Face

Ginny Duff duffg at stjoe.on.ca
Mon Nov 16 01:48:20 UTC 2015

Are we "supposed" to  be or is it more that we always have been.....
but we are all changing that.
Ginny

Dr. V. Duff
Clinical Director, West End ACT Team,
St. Joseph's Heatlh Centre , Toronto
Staff Psychiatrist, Complex Mental Illness, CAMH
Lecturer, University of Toronto
Tel:   416.530.6000, ext 3101
FAX:   416.530.6363

Sent from my iPad

<humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> Perhaps the lack of literature is itself an expression of the problem –
we are supposed to be always the client and never the therapist. Karen

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 15, 2015, at 2:58 PM, Sarah Meyer via humanser
<humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:

>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> For one of my classes, I have to write a research paper with 6-10
sources
>> (primarily professional ones) that meet the following criteria:
>>
>> Write a paper on a current issue for counselors. Discuss the research
>> literature on the topic, and how it affects LMHC practice. Be sure to
>> address the following in your paper:
>>
>>        i. Describe the problem or challenge being faced by counseling
>> professionals and/or the profession.
>>
>>        ii.       Detail the various aspects associated with this
problem.

>>        iii.      Describe some ideas in addressing this challenge.
>>

>> The topic I am writing about is challenges that counselors with
>> disabilities, primarily sensory disabilities, face, such as what
research
>> has to say about the process of self-disclosure with clients, dealing
with
>> records and now electronic health records, issues of perceived
>> warmth/competence by clients, and therapeutic attraction/openness in
the
>> therapeutic relationship as well as counselor disability status on
>> relational dynamics in general, etc.  However, many of the articles
that I
>> find when I search our online database are not current, as in from
the 90s,
>> and so I am wondering if anyone knows of any more recent sources.
Also,
>> when I search using phrases like "counselors with disabilities" or
"blind
>> counselors," many of the results are coming back with articles
dealing with
>> issues specific to rehab counselors but not mental health counselors,
and
>> another major issue is that most of the articles are about working
with
>> clients with disabilities, not about counselors themselves who have
>> disabilities and must navigate a unique set of dynamics in their
>> environment.
>>
>> I may need to change gears with my topic and include all
disabilities; we
>> shall see. But I would like to examine how this issue also effects
the
>> profession as a whole, if that makes sense.
>>
>> If anyone has any suggestions for narrowing down my research results
or has
>> any sources to share, it would be very much appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks so much,
>>

>> -Sarah
>>

>> Sarah K. Meyer
>>
>> Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling/Social Psychology
>>
>> Ball State University
>>
>> Board Member, National Federation of the Blind Human Services
Division

>> Board Member, National Federation of the Blind of Indiana State
Affiliate

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/humanser_nfbnet.org/rosekm%40earthlink.net