[humanser] HelpLine volunteer questions

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Sun Sep 13 22:44:05 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I am excited and also apprehensive about a great volunteer opportunity; that
is, volunteering for the local NAMI HelpLine. I have been asked what
accommodations I will need to work the HelpLine. I'm not sure how to respond
because I do not understand all of the responsibilities I am expected to
fill. I also don't know how to ask about the computer program NAMI uses to
access its resource database and to track information about incoming
requests for help. Any ideas? I'm also wondering about what to do about
adaptive equipment. I have already offered to used my licensed copy of JAWS
-assuming NAMI's computer programs interface well with JAWS. Additionally,
NAMI also has a hardcover resource directory. I think I can manage the
resource book using a CCTV; something NAMI is unlikely to provide to a blind
volunteer.

Thank you.

Best,

Lisa Irving