[humanser] DSM 4 and 5 Bookshare

Ginny Duff duffg at stjoe.on.ca
Wed Sep 23 16:49:42 UTC 2015

Doesn't work for me!  - So this has spurned me on to call Bookshare and call the CNIB...   So listen to this story!!

I am in Canada.    Bookshare has an agreement with the CNIB to provide books to CNIB clients....  BUT many of the books do not have the copyright to allow Bookshare to pass the books on to clients outside the USA...    Bookshare confirmed that this book is blocked to me.  They suggest I contact "the publisher" to have this book made available to people outside the USA.

So at least I can stop barking up the Bookshare tree for the DSM 5.

So here is another part of the story.

The NFB belongs to the WBU (World Blind Union).   The NFB and the WBU have a goal to "stop the book famine".   Only 1-7 % of the world's literary works are available in accessible format.  The WBU has signed a treaty called the Marakesh Treaty that has to do with the different countries agreeing to change the copyright laws so that the copyright can be essentially waived in order to make books available to people across borders who have a print disability.   I do not know how this works, but the WBU then has to get the governments of the countires to ratify and implemet this agreement  to make this happen.   This in on the NFB agenda.   I am told Canada has set the ground work for this.   I am also told the US has not donet this yet.

The idea behind the Marakesh treaty is that if a book is available in accessible format in one country, it can then be made available for people with print disabilities in other countries.

so there you go!!

So I guess my next task is to contact the APA...   and in the meantime while they figure out if they have any interest in organising their copyright to allow for little me to read their books from the Bookshare Library...   I guess I should buy the thing as an ebook or get the PDF from the APA.

So I can see why I gave up in despair before.   Glad I know the answer now.   Maybe I'll read "The book of Woe" (a criotique of the DSM) which i can get fro Bookshare for free!!

Ginny

Dr. V. Duff
Clinical Director, West End ACT Team,
St. Joseph's Heatlh Centre , Toronto
Staff Psychiatrist, Complex Mental Illness, CAMH
Lecturer, University of Toronto
Tel:   416.530.6000, ext 3101
FAX:   416.530.6363

Sent from my iPad