[humanser] What's a psychotherapist to do?

Christina Moore christina.moore16 at houghton.edu
Fri Sep 25 04:19:12 UTC 2015

Hi Paulette,
I am younger than quite a few on this list I believe (no hurt
intended).  So hopefully I can help being that I am very close to
my years as a teen and I was similar in high school to the girl
you describe minus the sports.  : (continuation indicator)
It would help !know what resources you have available to you and
what type of setting you are in but I can suggest some ideas from
my own recent experiences with having therapists.  Also, is this
the first time you are seeing her? If so, try asking her if she
has any interests beyond that of homework and sports.
When I have met with therapists they have been about teaching me
breathing techniques and such.  They ask me my interests and
depending on how depressed at the time I was/am, I give them
feedback of a few things or not really any.
If she has no interests at all put out suggestations that are not
too overwhelming like suggesting she go on walks, write in a
journal, do a form of art for relaxation purposes (such as
drawing).
You could also suggest things that the family could do together
such as a game night and explain that the activity is meant for
fun not -petative or perfectionistic purposes.
I hope this helps in some way.  The internet could be a great
resource as well.
--Christina Moore