[humanser] best practices

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 28 03:30:05 UTC 2015

Hello Lisa,

30 years seems like two lifetimes, however your insight and skills have
grown with you.  Do not look at the time laps as a problem, as the time you
spent away from your field has added to your person.  I have a good friend
who received her degree at age 65, but her life history gives her an
advantage over the young ones out there.

There are multiple ways to do the work you wish, as a psychotherapist with a
2-year master's degree, as a case manager with no college degree, or
something in the middle.

Activity directors at skilled nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and
in adult day care all need committed folks.  Larger psychiatric hospitals
often have gerontology units and need mental health techs.

Most colleges have "Women's Centers" that offer assistance in figuaring out
a good career focus.

Be what you wish to be and do good work.

JD