[humanser] Follow up MSW Practicum placement challenges email

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 5 00:28:44 UTC 2016

questions:

How do you perform an assessment where visual detail is required?

I ask the patient about all things visual.  You get more information and
more accurate information than sighted folk will.
Race and ethnicity are often assumed visually and often that assumption is
incorrect.  Asking is best.
Ticks are not always present, so ask.
Tattoos, piercings and scars are often not observable, so ask.
Restlessness and gait issues can be heard as well as observed.
And, I’ve been told that I can hear when a teen rolls her eyes.

Walk me through a real life scenario of a client evaluation. How did you
adapt the visual information?

I perform a psychosocial my own way, usually reviewing a patient’s life
agency’s format.

I will do treatment plans on a PC prior to the patient’s visit, having
reviewed their problems and goals during the last session, and review them
briefly with the patient as we sign it (Our treatment plans are now 8
ridiculous pages long).

How did you interact with your reader driver during an assessment? Did you
develop a list of observation criteria for your reader/driver regarding
visual information before going to see the client?  What did you do as far
as checking in with your reader/driver regarding visual information as it
relates to case notes?

I have asked a receptionist to describe a patient when more information is
needed.  I would not advise asking a driver or reader ever to do this as
they are not part of the agency.  Perhaps 5 times in the last 10 years have
I felt the need for eyes to provide any visual patient information.  I can
tell if they have hygiene issues as I have a nose and my patients tell me if
they are wearing their PJs to a session.  Likewise when I made home visits
for a living in Brooklyn using public transportation, I was quick to notice
if a place was clean and safe for children;  if bugs were crawling on me;
also, if I had to step over people zoned out in the apartment hallway, I
knew that substance use was very active in the building.

Take me through a typical day as a blind social worker

Wow, just the same as a sighted social worker and, depending on the job,
quite different.  For me here is how it goes working in a child & adolescent
psychiatric outpatient program part of a major local hospital.
*  Rush in in time for my first patient, checking my ‘phone messages, email,
& schedule while warming up my PC.  My schedule is on my BrailleNote, the
‘phone messages are on my ‘phone, and the email is on my PC.
*  See patients, supervise interns & student interns, interact with various
parts of the agency in person, in meetings, via email and the like.
*  Write notes and other paperwork.

I do intake interviews with new patients and this might involve reading a
psychosocial via PC or a reader, signing a large number of consents &
agreements, this is a hospital, and this can be a problem.  I have read the
forms and know how to present them in short or in more detail as needed.  I
sign them after the patient leaves,  sometimes with a hospital volunteer’s
assistance.  I will arrange the papers so that I know the order of the
various documents prior to the interview.

I perform a psychosocial my own way, usually reviewing a patient’s life
agency’s format.

I will do treatment plans on a PC prior to the patient’s visit, having
reviewed their problems and goals during the last session, and review them
briefly with the patient as we sign it (Our treatment plans are now 8
ridiculous pages long).

What alternative blindness skills have you developed to assist in performing
the job description?

If you have excellent mobility skills you can get to any place and find
yourself comfortable completely independently.  If you have good braille
skills you can mark files and write notes completely independently.  If you
have good screen reading skills you can read and write notes and the like.

I use a screen reader on the PC, have a braille display, a scanner with a
scan & read program, a braille note-taker.  I am beginning to use the KNFB
Reader on my smart ‘phone as well.

I received my MSW in 1980 from Boston University.

Good luck to you.

JD Townsend, LCSW