[humanser] NAMI HelpLine volunteer update & questions

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 2 05:42:31 UTC 2016

Hello,

Happy new year. Hope the year is a good one for everyone and that you move
forward or begin your career whatever stage you are in.
To the person volunteering at the helpline, I hope that is working out.

I've had a lot of problems volunteering. One nonprofit said there was too
much paperwork and signing in people to help at the front desk.
Another nonprofit had me volunteering a few months only. I was answering the
main phone, assessing the caller's needs along with answering basic
questions, and directing them to the right person by transfering the calls.
I was doing information and referral work although more was the information
type.

I convinced them that it would be safe to install jaws on their pc without
causing viruses.
So we did. But, long story short, it did not work out because I could not
enter the call info in their database. it was created in excell but it was a
datasheet on top of the regular excell sheets. Jaws did not read all the
fields to fill in.
I also think they took me off the job because I could not access everything
the sighted people could; I could only access the stuff they supplied
electronically.

Its hard to be accomodated as a volunteer. I do not think they have to
provide reasonable accomodations. We have to work things out with every new
agency and hope  for the best.

So to all those seeking experience through volunteering, hope its going
well. I plan to try volunteering again in the summer.

Ashley