[humanser] Question for professionals who worked/are working with addicts.

Judyth Leavitt leavitt at together.net
Sun Jul 3 00:56:29 UTC 2016

Hello;

I have worked with adults with Addictions for over 18 years.  I have found
they appreciate my nonjudgmental  and accepting attitude.  I can't see their
tattoos, their tracks or any of the visuals that often lead to their being
treated differently.  Be genuine, meet them where they are.  This is their
journey, you are their guide.  In the populations I have dealt with over 95%
have experienced some form of trauma in their past.  Be mindful, they might
be 35 years old chronologically, emotionally they are at the age they began
using.  So you have a 35 year old who is emotionally 14.  They use the
coping skills of a 14 year old, not a 35 year old.  An underlying issue for
many who are addicted is low self-esteem, which they mask with bravado and
other defense mechanisms.  As you can tell, I have found the work to be
rewarding.  I wish you well, be open, listen and know they often feel a
kinship with difference; for it is in our difference that there is the
greatest beauty.

Judyth Leavitt LICSW, MLADC