[humanser] Question about Process of Disclosure of Blindness with minors

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:23:07 UTC 2016

Hello fellow uman Services Division Members and Listers,
I have a question for you and am especially interested in hearing from
clinicians who have worked with children and adolescents. What is your
process of disclosure regarding blindness with minors? If a parent or
guardian is in the room for the first part of a session and you are
going over confidentiality and other basics before switching to
working individually with the client while the parent/guardian waits
in the waiting area, would you bring up your blindness (especially if
it is readily apparent) with the adult in the room proactively or only
if he/she asks?
Would you wait to discuss/disclose until the parent/guardian has left?
I am leaning towards discussing it openly with the parent/guardian in
the room in case they have questions/concerns about me working with
their child, since they are required to be included with informed
choice and consent if I am understanding correctly.
Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Best,

Sarah

--
Sarah K. Meyer
Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling/Social Psychology
sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
(317)402-6632

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.