[humanser] Questions regarding Masters Level Social Work Practicum

Lora :) ichoosechrist2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:39:27 UTC 2016

Hello List,

I am new to the list. My name is Yiska. I am trying to get a practicum
placement for fall and am running into some challenges related to
blindness. I figured this would be a good place to ask my questions. I
am getting my master's in social work. The practicum liaison and the
agencies have some concerns about being able to fulfill the duties of
the job. They are concerned that I will be unable to complete an
assessment without vision. They are also concerned that if I use a
driver in order to go to client's houses, courts etc that there will
be confidentiality issues. I have informed the liaison that the driver
would be bound by the same confidentiality rules that I would be. I
have told them that there are other ways to get information besides
vision such as vocal tone and questions. The placements that I am
looking into are such things as dealing with severe mental health
issues and child abuse cases. One agency will only accept me if I just
shadow a social worker but this is not how other students have their
placements. If you have any ideas or suggestions on how you would
handle such a situation it would be greatly appreciated if you would
share those thoughts. Thank you for your time.

Yiska