[humanser] New list member with a question regarding MSW VS MA in Human Services

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Thu May 5 05:15:14 UTC 2016

Miranda,

Welcome to the list.

From,
Lisa Irving

-----Original Message-----
From: Humanser [mailto:humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Miranda B.
via Humanser
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:10 PM
To: humanser at nfbnet.org
Cc: Miranda B. <knownoflove at gmail.com>
Subject: [humanser] New list member with a question regarding MSW VS MA in
Human Services

Hello everyone,

My name is Miranda, and my husband and I live in Virginia. I am currently
pursuing my Bachelors in Interdisciplinary Studies with specializations in
global studies, teaching English as a second language (tESL), and Human
Services. My long-term goal is to welcome internationals to the United
States. However, I am also familiarizing myself with other opportunities to
work and serve in this field as well.

After graduating with my Bachelors in 2018, I plan to attend graduate
school. On that note, I have been advised that a MA in Human Services is
geared towards those wishing to work in an administration capacity, while
the MSW is more for those wishing to work directly with clients in the
field. I have also been told that the MSW is more widely accepted and
provides more job opportunities. My inclination is to pursue my MSW, as I
wish to work directly with clients. Could anyone shed some light on this and
share your experiences or advice?

Thanks for allowing me to share and inquire, and have a wonderful week!

--Miranda