[humanser] about minority stress

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Tue May 24 02:59:59 UTC 2016

Hello,

Each month my co-woorkers and I research  and write articles for our monthly
news letter. Our newsletter is read by  recipients of local mental health
services and organizations providing public mental health services. One of
the articles I am working on  is the intersection of minority stress and the
LGBTQIA  community. Over the past week I've learned more about "minority
stress" and micro aggression". I am beginning to understand how social and
historical backdrops impact marginalized communities, including the LGBT
community. Not withstanding, I more clearly see how decades of re occurring
minority stressalso impacts our community, the blind community.

. I think it is a good thing that the NFB has begun to explore the human
side of blindness. Is there anyone on this list conducting any research
about minority stress and the blind community and the prevalence of mental
illness and addiction?

From,

Lisa Irving