[humanser] There But for the NFB Go I

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 26 00:54:04 UTC 2016

That’s my reaction.  What’s yours?

New York Times Sunday Review Desk Section
2016 11 20

DISABILITY

Feeling My Way Into Blindness.

By EDWARD HOAGLAND.
Edward Hoagland is a nature and travel writer, and the author, most recently, of 'In the Country of the Blind,' a novel

Blindness is enveloping.  It's beyond belief to step outside and
see so little, just a milky haze.  Indoors, a smothering dark.
It means that you can't shed a mood of loneliness with a brisk
walk down the street because you might trip, fall and break
something.  Nor will you see a passing friend, the sight of whom
could be as cheery as an actual conversation.  Sights, like
sounds, randomly evoke a surge of memories ordinarily
inaccessible that lighten and brighten the day.  'Who are you? I
may already have asked 10 people who have spoken to me.  Their
body language as well as their smiles are lost to me.  Human
nature is striped with ambiguities, and you need to see them, but
like a prisoner, I am hooded.

I lost my sight once before, to cataracts, a quarter-century ago,
but it was restored miraculously by surgery.  It then went
seriously bad again, until, reaching 80, I needed a cane.  Tap,
tap.  Ambulatory vision is the technical term..

Everything becomes impromptu, hour by hour improvised.  Pouring
coffee so it doesn't spill, feeling for the john so you won't pee
on the floor, calling information for a phone number because you
can't read the computer, or the book.  Eating takes considerable
time since you can't see your food.  Feeling for the scrambled
eggs with your fingers, you fret about whether you appear
disgusting.  Shopping for necessities requires help.  So does
traveling on a bus.

The kindness of strangers is proverbial -- a woman leads me
through the bustle of an airport toward the taxi stand, a
waitress hands me back a $50 bill I mistook for a 20.  Blindness
is factually a handicap, yet an empathetic one, because other
people can so easily imagine themselves suffering from it,
sometimes even experiencing a rehearsal for it when stumbling
through a darkened house at night.  I remember how in school we
teased students with Coke-bottle glasses, but didn't laugh at
blind folk whose black glasses signified that they couldn't see
at all.

I know about handicaps harder to cotton to, having stuttered
terribly for decades, my face like a gargoyle's, my mouth
flabbering uncontrollably.  Blindness is old hat.  In Africa you
still see sightless souls led about by children gripping the
other end of a stick.  Blindness in its helplessness reassures
the rest of us that that oddball is not an eyesore or a loose
cannon.  Being blind is omission, not commission; and you'd
better learn how to fall.  Paratrooper or tumbler training would
be useful.  A tumbler can tip sideways as he lands so his hip and
shoulder absorb the blow.

The ears need schooling as a locator.  I search for the bathroom
at night, guided by a ticking clock whose location I recognize.
As you go blind, exasperating incongruities arise, but also the
convenience of this new excuse for shedding social obligations
not desired.  And you can give your car away.

Hearing snatches of conversation from invisible voices,
everything becomes eavesdropping.  Have I seen my last movie? Is
the vision gone from television? But I can still see daylight and
bipedal forms, tree crowns and running water, swirling, seething
leaves against the sky-blue heavens, which remind me of 80 years
of previous gazing on several continents.  Eternal instants on
Telegraph Hill, Beacon Hill, or Venice and Kampala.

Splendiferous mountain vistas of greensward and cliffs scaffold
my dreams, drawn from memories of sheep pastures in Sicily and
Greece, rich with textured sedges or tinted canyons, then
bombastic skyscrapers, or Matisse's Chapel.  So it's
flabbergastingly impoverishing to wake up in the morning.  Faces
are no longer seamed, nor are raindrops stippled on the
windowpane, cats high-tailed in a turf war, postage stamps
vividly illustrative.  I forget my condition and grope for my
glasses, wherever they are, as if they could solve the emergency.
Blindness is an emergency; the window shades are drawn, and one
deals with it in myriad ways.

Instinctively I reach out to touch everyone I talk with,
heightening the moment of contact.  Shoulders I go for, as
gender-neutral, companionable territory, but most folks don't
want to chat for long with anyone whose deficits are front and
center.  There's sympathy fatigue, though allowances must be
made, an elbow gripped, and perhaps the menu read aloud in a
restaurant.  Poor guy; be considerate; tell him what the
headlines were in the paper today, but if he's not Helen Keller,
let the next person take a turn at being nice.

You get somebody to scan your mail for you outside the post
office, and supervise paying a bill in the return envelope, maybe
even writing the check for you to sign.  Improvising keeps one
alive, and at the beach you can hear the surf thump if not exult
in the spindrift's curl.  The tide tugs your feet.  At 4:30 in
midsummer you hear the birds' morning chorus, nature primeval and
ascendant.  You dig when you're blind, fingering for roots, then
for what the roots are connected to.  Curiosity does tip into
tediousness, though, when there's no new material.

Blindness as a metaphor is not flattering.  Blind drunk, a parent
blind to the misery of her children, a politician blind to the
needs of his constituents.  When blind you can neither read text
nor frowns, but if somebody starts talking to you and you can't
see them, hang loose till you figure it out.  Equilibrium is the
key.

Eyedrops of several descriptions and optical devices accumulate
as each is superseded by another.  You used different hand lenses
for different phases of magnification.  Since a book or film is
not in the cards, blindly groping for succor in your boredom can
be a danger.  That comfy stranger on the bench may be Mr.  Ponzi.
Discipline is required.  In all your parts, do you still enjoy
being alive? Crossing your legs and twitching an ankle, savoring
cherry tomatoes, then sweet corn and lobster.

Nights can turn bright if the world mysteriously whitens, as
though one's optic nerves were rebelling.  It's odd when one part
of the body dies but the rest does not.  In blindness we don't
cast off our eyes, but continue to consult them in thwarted ways,
much as amputees feel their lost parts almost function.

Feeling a chill wind, I'll look at the sky for a forecast, but
triangulate the slanting breezes for the message I can't see.  I
smell the rain before it comes, and the sun speaks to my skin
like a finger stroking.  As, in my view, joy in people may be
analogous to photosynthesis in plants, this is quite logical.
But wet days can be delicious also, a cool drink for dry skin,
restful in its implications; good weather has its pressures.
Less is expected of a rainy day; you can hole up a bit with
yourself.

Like Plato's Cave, your brain consists of memories flickering on
a wall.  The phenomenalities of sight are now memories, but my
sixth sense has helped.  Call it intuition; and I've never felt
despair, any more than when I was a kid who couldn't talk.
Blindness resembles a stretched-out stroke.  Functions wither as
your walking slows.  Muscles atrophy and sensibilities, too.  You
can't size up a new visage, yet the grottoes in your head have
more to plumb if your sight was lost midlife or later.  You can
go caving.

Where are my eyes, I suddenly think, as if I'd left behind my
coat.  Landscapes become impressionistic, eliding details.
Abbreviation is at the core.  Input is so precious -- the
conversations other people pause to grant you, beyond the barest
niceties, describing piquant scenery you can't see.  Strong
sunlight is needed for a newsstand headline but muted
illumination has subtler uses, and in pitch dark a blind man is
at an advantage.

The personality of the street, hubbubed with hurry, invites
strolling.  Slatted fences, orange lilies, SALE signs in a
window.  'Outta sight! a guy exclaims.  I seek a bench I know
about, remembering a whole gallery of friends who have died by
now.  Older than Mozart, younger than Bach, they engulfed my life
with love and commitment, and on a good day permeate my mind.  My
sexual fantasies invoke an alloy of wives and friends.  But
anonymity has swallowed me like Jonah's whale; I grope inside.

Sunlight beams turn the street radiant for a quarter-hour.  Two
of my mentors ended their lives by suicide, and I remember their
dilemmas sympathetically.  One jumped into the sea, the other the
Mississippi, but I wonder in each case whether the sun was
shining or they'd waited for a rainy day.  Our elements return,
in any event, to the oceans to re-form as other life.

Nature is our mother, if no longer our home.  We couch-surf in
rented beach houses, with green belts as habitat for other
creatures that remain.  How many of us have watched a possum
'play possum' or a goshawk swoop after a blue jay? We feed
pigeons and hummingbirds, then have done with it.  Nature has
become a suburb.  Of course I can't see the cardinal at the
feeder out the window, though tidal forces still operate.  The
leaves natter even if you can't see them.  Your ears report their
bustle, ceaseless until dormant for a span of moments.  The pulse
in your throat signals that in your torso all is well; it will
beat till it quits.  That concordance of organs lives within us
like sea creatures throbbing on a coral reef, strung there as on
our skeleton as long as conditions allow.

Novelty is the spice of life and salts our daily round even when
we lose our sight.  Your eyes don't steer you as you saunter, yet
your lungs, legs, arms feel as fit as ever.  For simple exercise,
I hoist myself out of each chair, or bicycle in bed, though then
unfortunately may pick up two completely different shoes and try
to squeeze them on.  My socks don't match either.  But why am I
not crankier? a friend asks.  I'm helpless; I can't be cranky.
Blindness is enforced passivity.  I have become a second-class
citizen, an object of concern.  Crankiness won't persuade people
to treat me thoughtfully.  Disabled, that dry term once applied
to so many others over my lifetime, now applies to me.  As best I
can, I'll make my peace with it.