[humanser] verbal techniques and reading affect

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 00:07:55 UTC 2016

Hi Ericka and Rebecca,

That probably would make them nervous or distract them.  The room we
are working in unfortunately doesn't have a lot of extra space, so in
order to walk around I'd have to walk around the inside of the circle
of chairs (they're lined up pretty much against the walls), and we
often move drums and other equipment to the center of the circle when
we're not using us in order to give us some physical space.  We
prepare and pass out lyric sheets when we plan for a particular song
to be discussed, but when the clients request songs to communicate a
part of their story to the group we don't even have words for them to
focus on.  I have been able to do this in other group settings,
though; I had a rolling stool I used when working with older adults so
I could play and see their faces when close at eye level, and I found
that helpful.

Rebecca, I like your idea of throwing emotions out there.  Perhaps I
already am doing a version of this by repeating a particular line from
the song and asking the clients what they interpreted it to mean.  I
sometimes say what I think of it first and then see how their
songs this is even easier as I put the lyric sheet on my BrailleSense
and can follow along with the clients as the music plays.  I also now
have a general idea of how some of the clients react to different
types of song material, but I am also careful not to assume anything
hard and fast about their reactions as that isn't fair to them, and I
also am mindful of all the other things going on in their treatment.
The only bummer is that we don't have many sessions with them as
they're only in a 28 day program, and we only have practicum twice a
week.

--
Kaiti Shelton