[humanser] Advanced generalist versus concentration-specific MSW

Tabea Meyer tnmeyer174 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:58:28 UTC 2017

Hi Miranda,

My name is Tabea, and I am pursuing my MSW at the University of Denver
concentrating in Family Systems. When I was looking into MSW programs,
I asked folks the same question and got both answers. Some suggested
pursuing a concentration, and others argued that an MSW is an MSW and
teaches skills and opens doors for a variety of job opportunities
regardless of one's chosen concentration.

 From my current perspective, I, like Justin, would encourage you to
pursue a concentration that seems to fit with your area of interest. A
lot of the information you gain as a BSW, or in the first year of grad
school if you are not currently pursuing a Bachelor of Social Work
degree, will provide the generalist framework that is incredibly
helpful for social work practice. Your concentration in your MSW will
allow you to hone in on population-specific concerns and intervention
strategies to strengthen your practice later, as well.

Best,

Tabea