[humanser] Blind counselors and body language

Cheryl Wade wadecher at msu.edu
Thu Aug 31 20:18:21 UTC 2017

Greetings,

I think that like everything else, there's a "yes" and "no" answer to
this question.

I truly believe counselors who are blind can figure emotional things out
pretty well without seeing body language. On the other hand, I do
believe we miss things.

I suggest people listen for things like cracking of knuckles, tapping a
pen on the desk, voice inflection, fidgeting in the chair. I remember
one client who told me that at first, she wondered how we would
communicate well because of my lack of vision. (My eyes move around
quite a bit, and I know that's a detriment.) Then, during our session, I
remember being fascinated with the things she said. Her voice rose in
anger, then fell. I was a young counselor glued to everything she said.
I sat at the edge of my seat, my face seemingly peering toward her, my
eyes wide open. It was an intense session. Afterward, she told me she
knew I was totally involved with what she said because she looked at MY
body language.

I do not know if this is a hiring issue. I already have my blindness and
my 62 years of previous life to put potential employers at ease about. I
do know that my first boss, who is a certified rehabilitation counselor,
said she believed I could provide effective counseling.

Cheryl Wade, MA, LLPC, CRC