[humanser] Considering applying to my city's social services advisory board

Miranda B. knownoflove at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:02:32 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

As I wish to give back to my local community and gain experience in the
social services field while pursuing my BSW, I am considering applying to my
city's Social Services Advisory Board. I meet the main requirement of being
a city resident, but I'm trying to determine what skills and experience I
can currently offer to this board if accepted for appointment.

Much of my recent/current volunteer experience has been as a teacher of
English as a second language to adult learners. More previously, I
coordinated medical transportation for senior citizens, was a licensed
foster parent (although no children were placed in our home within that
year), and served as a Big Sister through my local Big Brothers Big Sisters
for 5 years prior to moving from Michigan to Virginia. I also interned at a
refugee resettlement agency during the summer of 2015 as a Refugee
Employment Services intern.

Should I gain further volunteer experience in the social services arina
prior to applying to this board? I'm mainly wondering if my "social
services" experience (foster care, medical transportation coordination, and
mentoring), was too far in the past to be relevant.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks as always for your time and assistance, and have a wonderful week!

Best wishes, Miranda