[humanser] Question about Word for long forms

Cheryl Wade wadecher at msu.edu
Sat Feb 18 15:08:04 UTC 2017

Greetings,

My agency is using the latest version of MSWord, which uses Backstage
View and a bunch of what I think is complicated stuff. I am trying to do
a very simple thing: click on the file menu and save the document with a
new name, thus creating a new copy of the blank document. So it's Alt-f
for the file menu, a to "save as," and then there are tabs and tabs  of
properties. I couldn't figure out how to save the file, and a co-worker
told me to use the command y6. That got me sort of close to the point of
saving the document, but I still relied -- this once -- on a sighted
co-worker to find and click on the "save" button.

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but this is a small but difficult matter.

Also: I have a 22-page master treatment document in MSWord. There are
several pages of interventions that I never use. I have to skip down to
the "goals" section. I know how to use the insert-z command to shut off
the virtual cursor so I can use the JAWS find to locate things in the
text. But what happens if insert-z does not work? Do I simply memorize
how many times to hit "page down" to get to the goals? Is there some way
to mark the section so I can find it easily? And what happens when
MSWord works so slowly that 10 seconds elapse between the time I press a
key and the time JAWS speaks it?

Thanks.

Cheryl Wade