[humanser] Reviewing case files as a CASA (court-appointed special advocate) volunteer?

Miranda B. knownoflove at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 22:22:47 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

As I prepare to study social work, I am considering volunteer opportunities
in my local community to become better aquainted with the social services
field. One such opportunity is that of a CASA, or court-appointed special
advocate. In this role, I would advocate for children who have been
neglected or abused. As my husband and I were previously licensed as foster
parents in another state, I am familiar with the courts from that point of
view.

After reviewing the position responsibilities, the only question I have is
how I should address concerns of reviewing case documents. I am assuming for
security and privacy that these documents will be in print, and I am unsure
as to what freedom I will or will not have to put them in an electronic
format. Other than requesting electronic copies via thumb drive, I'm stuck.
The issue that might arise with this suggestion is that the thumb drive
might not be secure, unless I could encrypt it.

Any other thoughts would be very much appreciated, and I would love to hear
from anyone who has volunteered in this position as well.

Thanks as always for your time and assistance, and have a wonderful week!

Best wishes, Miranda