[humanser] Going Blind

Marisol Carmona marisol.carmona at aol.com
Sun Feb 26 04:22:32 UTC 2017

Hi Sarah,

I think you raise a valid point about finding a balance between combatting
myths about blindness and also demonstrating empathy toward those who truly
have a fear concerning loss of sight. In adding to these thoughts, I feel
that it's important to recognize that the experience of vision loss is
different for each individual. In this particular case, it's implied that
this gentleman lived 80 years as a sighted person. After this incredibly
long period of time, it is natural for him to feel scared of losing a
feature that helped him learn and communicate with his environment
throughout the course of his life.  That being said, rather than only
focusing on the negatives of blindness, the media should also include
information about available resources to those who lose vision and how with
proper rehabilitation, a blind individual can lead a fulfilling and "normal"
life.
The sad truth is that many people view vision loss as one of the worse
abilities to lose. I, personally, don't think it's our job to judge this
mentality, as much as it is to constructively present a realistic
perspective on living life as a blind individual.

Best,

Marisol

Marisol Carmona
MSW Candidate