[humanser] Blind counselors and body language

Karen Rose rosekm at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 14:47:42 UTC 2017

Hi. Well I work for myself in private practice. And mostly I don't document. I just write a very very quick to line progress note for each client in case insurance company asked for something. I generally dictate those to the phone. Takes about one minute per client. Because I am in private practice and still take Insurance – most people out here do not anymore – and because insurances are paying $60-$90 per hour while most people here charge $125-$200 per hour, and because our rents and mortgages are higher than those in New York City, and because and because I am single owning a house here, I need to work about double what most people here work is therapist. LOL – Karen

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 1, 2017, at 7:06 AM, Cheryl Wade via HumanSer <humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Hi, Karen,
>

> I'm so glad you are able to see 45 clients in a week, although it must be absolutely crazy and require some overtime.
>

> What I want to know is, how can you keep up with all the documentation for 45 people a week! My last position was very difficult, and I left because my computer errored out so many times that I often could not finish work for three clients a day. I am seeking a new position and want to be busy.
>

> What software features and adaptations have you made in order to see so many clients? This information would help me when I look at other companies' software.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Cheryl Wade, MA, lLPC, CRC
>

>> On 8/31/2017 4:21 PM, Karen Rose via HumanSer wrote:
>> Hi. I was born totally blind and have been in practice about 30 years. I see approximately 45 clients per week. Two of them are blind. As for body language I simply asked people what they're doing with their body if I want to know. Anything that can be seen can also be asked for. Karen Rose and MFT
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 31, 2017, at 1:02 PM, Ayoub Zurikat via HumanSer <humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello family, I hope you are all well.
>>> I am currently doing my masters degree in clinical mental health counseling. Thing is, I have had this concern ever since I started the program, and I need advice or feedback.
>>> So a crucial part of therapy is the therapist's ability to read and interpret client's nonverbal body language. However, being blind I cannot do that. Here are my questions.
>>> 1- has this been an issue for employment? In other words are counseling centers/employers hesitant to work with blind counselors because of this issue?
>>> 2- for those of you who are practicing therapists, how do you deal with such an issue? Are their skills that can be learned?
>>> 3- am I going to have to limit myself to do therapy with blind/disabled clients because of this?