[humanser] EMDR-A type of trauma therapy

Beth Gustin, LPC bethglpc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 12:30:36 UTC 2017

Hello all,

correct. I have clients who can see but prefer me tapping on the tops of their hands, or using the buzzers or headphones with auditory beeps instead of using their eyes to track movements. You can also purchase a light bar which simulates the finger movements for those who do wish to track with their eyes.
Research suggests that eye movements in tapping are the best, but my philophosy is whatever works for the client because it will make them more comfortable and thus be more successful.

Thanks,

Beth
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 2, 2017, at 2:03 AM, Lisa Irving via HumanSer <humanser at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Karen and Cory,
>
> I am a fan of EMDR. I can speak from the perspective of the client. I am
> unable to visually track, and I do not see well enough to focus on objects.
> I interviewed two therapists that practiced EMDR. The first therapist sat
> very close to me and tapped my thighs. Given the nature of my trauma  I
> didn't want to be touched  and I didn't want anyone very close to me.
>
> The second therapist introduced me to small round objects that I could hold
> in each hand. These objects had a thin wire that extended to the machine
> held by the therapist. I was able to control the intensity of the pulsing
> and the tempo of the pulsing by communicating with the therapist. I believe
> this form of EMDR enabled me to process the trauma.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Lisa Irving

>>> n_options_humanser-5Fnfbnet.org_wadecher-2540msu.edu&d=DwICAg&c=nE__W