[humanser] Blind counselors and body language

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 16:01:40 UTC 2017

Hi,
I really like that you brought up this point, because I don't think it's something that many sighted people consider in this conversation. I have dealt with nonverbal body language as a blind individual when applying for a volunteer client advocate position. In this role, the client advocate meets with a client one-on-one as a peer (non-professional) counselor to work through the presented challenges as trained by this facility. When told that I could not do this, because I would not be able to read nonverbal body language due to my blindness, I explained to the volunteer coordinator that just as every client who enters their facility comes with their own set of strengths, weaknesses, and challenges, they are not discriminated against based on their circumstances. Moreover, I have been blind for my whole life, and therefore I have learned to read auditory cues instead of visual cues during any conversation. I have been told in both professional and personal capacities that I am ann effective communicator and effective listener. Lastly, I pointed out that there are many successful counselors, therapists, social workers, etc. who happened to be blind or visually impaired and thus do not depend on visual cues as a sighted person does. I am happy to report that I am in my second phase of training for this volunteer position, and the volunteer coordinator has repeatedly expressed gratitude for my patience in working to break down barriers and misconceptions about blindness.
 I say all of this to encourage anyone struggling with this conversation to know that there is hope, and you can be successful in your profession without reading visual cues.
Thanks for exploring this topic, and have a wonderful week!

Best wishes, Miranda

Sent from my iPhone