[humanser] Blind counselors and body language

Ginny Duff GDuff at stjoestoronto.ca
Sat Sep 2 16:04:39 UTC 2017

I must say this has always been something I worry about -  I work with psychotic patients.   My staff will report on the patient's appearance which often relects how weell they are doing - dischevelled - food down their front - wild hair - unshaven - a dramatic change in their appearance.   I work with on a long term basis with this population and I work in the context of a team and so I do not think in the end I niss much.

A lot of my psychotic patients  are being treated against their will and so they would be all too motivated to not divulge information to me.  This is quite a different from doing counselling or therapy with a client who is coming to see you becasue they want to.   They are at least trying to communicate to you the best they can.   I don't think my vision loss is a barrier in dealing with psychotherapy patients or patients who are voluntarily coming for treatment.

Someone on this list suggested asking the patient to descirbe themselves.   I have tried this a few times with interesting results.  As my vision has worsened, I am trying to develop more creative ways of dealing with missing the visual iompact.

Ginny

Dr. V. Duff
Clinical Director
West End Assertive Community Treatment Team
St. Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto
Lecturer, University of Toronto