[humanser] Any rehab counselors out ehre?

Cheryl Wade wadecher at msu.edu
Wed Feb 21 22:14:38 UTC 2018

Greetings, listers,

Although I currently work for a therapeutic counseling clinic, I
initially earned a rehabilitation counseling master's because I wanted
to work with people who have disabilities. My goal for years was to work
with people who were at least 20 years old and had never had jobs. I
have been most interested in the people who live with their parents,
don't get out much and have little or no easy access to work.

I know I am nuts for wanting this kind of a job. I  do NOT want to
simply do case management for some state agency and plunk people into
services and keep the "get a job! Get a job!!" mantra until they somehow
get jobs. I don't believe these people stand a very good chance of
getting jobs so long as they have to find their own jobs or  are forced
to work in supported employment. I care deeply about the psychological,
sociological, cultural, familial and motivational aspects that influence
people to stay at home and not to venture out.

I am considering ways I could market my services, through the center
where I work, to these folks. I do not think a state rehabilitation
agency ever would refer clients to me unless I became their contractor
and bought cyber insurance and spent a whole lot of money trying to make
them happy.

Are there any programs out there that specifically deal with this kind
of counseling, as a way of augmenting typical state vocational services
or private services? Are there any cool things going on in Michigan,
where I now live?

I am opening a can of worms, but please give me ideas on that offbeat
oddball thing, if you know what it is. I am looking for it. And I'm 63;
and I won't live forever. This has been my life's dream.

Cheryl Wade, MA, LLPC, CRC