[HumanSer] Discussion-What Would You Say?

Christopher L. Smith, LMHC, LMFT Smith at 4mentalhealth.us
Tue Sep 3 22:19:33 UTC 2019

With those who I have supervised, I have used a series of spreadsheets. I
have them keep a detailed log on a pay period by pay period basis of each
session they have had as well as other related work they have done and the
supervision they have received. Each line on the spreadsheet corresponds to
a particular session or other activity. I include other things I want to
track on these such as revenue from sessions and certain types of
activities I want to know about, but this is because these double as my
timesheets and work records, but would not be needed for your purposes. The
spreadsheet then calculates the totals for the pay period. These
spreadsheets are not likely to be needed for later recordkeeping but would
be handy if the hours were audited when you go to get licensed, if the
supervisor felt you had worked less than you did or if you needed to show
particular types of hours for a certification (for example, I had to count
only substance abuse treatment hours when I got my  license as a clinical
addiction counselor after being licensed in other disciplines).

Then I have another spreadsheet that takes the totals from each pay period
and calculates a running total (in my state for clinical, supervision and
admin, but you can track your own) and compares it to the goal so you can
see how you are progressing to being licensed.

Side comment. Look now at any state that you might think about moving to.
Get their requirements and track the extra stuff now as it is easier to do
this as you go than try to recreate it later. Similarly, get the forms a
supervisor signs to verify hours and have your supervisors complete them in
addition to the one from your state - these forms are more likely to be
accepted in the future if you should move and can't find your supervisor.

How can you do your job as a counselor when you are blind?
This you should be able to answer from the work you have done in class and
in internship. I also wonder whether this would be a good opening to raise
any reasonable accommodations that you see you may need to have as the
supervisor has opened the door.

There are so many visual aspects and cues that you get visually from your
client. How will you be able to do your job when you cannot see them?
There is some truth to this but you are also more attuned to other cues
that other clinicians do not pay as much attention to. Depending on your
blindness, you may also have some usable vision that the supervisor is
assuming that you don't have - a good opportunity for some gentle education.

How can you protect yourself if a client is dangerous?
This would be something I would consider as a potential red flag for the
setting if you are looking at outpatient work as this should not be a
regular part of the work. I would use this as something to ask questions
about. If it is a setting where this is a regular part of the job (as when
I worked inpatient and restraining patients was not uncommon), what
training will they provide (there should be some) and how will the
providers of that training accommodate you?

How can you protect yourself in order not to be taken advantage of by a
client?
This really has nothing to do with being blind. How does any clinician not
get taken advantage of by clients?

Christopher