[HumanSer] Accepting resumés for part time mentor position at Learning Ally

Abigail Shaw afshaw at learningally.org
Thu Jun 11 16:01:42 UTC 2020

Hello list,

My name is Abigail, and I facilitate our mentorship part of the College Success Program at Learning Ally. You can learn all about the program by visiting learningally.org/collegesuccess.

I am currently accepting resumés for interested candidates in our part time mentor position. This is a virtual program, and as such mentors will work remotely. Below is the job description. Please send me a copy of your resumé and a note about why you are looking to apply. My contact info is also below.

Be well,
Abigail

***

Learning Ally’s College Success Program encompasses a series of services that are designed to help students in college who are blind or visually impaired. This program will provide students with access to our Core Curriculum,  a community of other blind and visually impaired students and mentors for knowledge and support, and mentorship that provides empathy and guidance.

The College Success Program Mentors provide students who are blind or visually impaired with the help and empathy they need to properly thrive. Mentors deliver help by utilizing Learning Ally’s program and also by applying our Core Curriculum to experiences that students with visual impairments face in college. Mentors will assist in helping students with ...

… developing sound collaboration with instructors and educators
… participating effectively with in-class activities and lectures
… discovery of ways to use technology effectively and also developing executive function skills to make independent learning effective
… using on-campus resources, like DSOs, effectively so that they may direct their own learning
… creating connections so that students can better meet their social goals and avoid isolation
… guidance in developing the skills necessary to enter the workforce and find gainful employment

By design, Mentors are NOT called upon to:

·       Dispense specific legal advice
·       Provide psychological advice
·       Offer help or recommendations on specific programs
·       Replace the guidance offered by expert medical, social, psychological, or legal professionals

Mentors will need to be comfortable interacting with student mentees directly in a virtual setting. Mentors should also be prepared to provide stewardship to mentees over the course of an entire semester. Mentors may be matched with students based on several criteria, included but not limited to:

Comfort in using technology to get through college
Visual acuity
Field of learning:  STEM or Humanities and Social Sciences
Gender

Mentors may be asked to assist in the development of digital content and resources, help ensure the accessibility of Learning Ally systems by providing review and feedback, and may also be asked to communicate about the program to both internal Learning Ally audiences as well as key external stakeholders.

Primary Position Objectives:

·   	Communicate with students/mentees via pre-scheduled phone calls or email, summarizing information that must be communicated to Learning Ally program staff and forwarding appropriate links and collateral per the topics discussed by phone to the student/mentee.
·   	Engage with the mentee to provide informative and practical guidance. Actively listen and offer suitable options that meet their individual needs.
·   	Assist with development of web content as directed and test website accessibility or other technology components as needed by program staff.
 ·   	Write articles and share expertise, when interested and qualified, with larger audiences in the above topics, anonymously sharing where appropriate and preferred.
·   	Participate in other Learning Ally activities as required to achieve organizational goals.

Job Requirements

Education
Have completed an undergraduate degree
Specific Skills/Knowledge
Understanding of the needs of a college student who is blind or visually impaired
Proficient in use of disability specific technology for example: a screen reader such as JAWS, or a braille note-taker such as a BrailleNote, CCTV etc.
Ability to proficiently access and use MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc), Google docs and calendars
Operating knowledge of Windows or Mac
Ability to build rapport with variety of personalities, over the phone and via email
Ability to communicate openly, honestly and respectfully
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Strong planning and time management
Highly motivated, innovative and adaptable
Demonstrated good judgment, attention to detail and follow through
Talent for providing solutions and understanding their impact
% Travel
Minimum if any travel required
Flexibility in working hours.
Ability to dedicate a minimum of 3 hours per week, in a consistent time frame to Learning Ally work in this program

Work Conditions
This job operates from a home office and must comply with Learning Ally’s At Home Working Policy.

This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.

Competencies:
Communication
Creativity & Innovation
Leadership
Customer Focus
Building Relationships
Functional & Technical Skills
Continual Learning
***

Abigail Shaw
Production Coordinator & College Success Program Mentor Coordinator

Learning AllyTM
afShaw at LearningAlly.org
Office: 212-845-7007

Learningally.org/BuildingBooks <http://learningally.org/buildingbooks>

Change the lives of children who are blind, visually impaired or have a reading disability such as dyslexia.  Donate <https://supportus.learningally.org/give/t278573/#!/donation/checkout> to our annual Building Books for Student Success campaign today!