[HumanSer] [External] LMSW???

43210 at Bellsouth.net 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 13 18:24:00 UTC 2021

Good Afternoon.  Good questions.

In most states in the USA there are two forms of licensure, as a Licensed
Master Social Worker and as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.  There are
exams for both with practice tests through the national organization.

What good is becoming licensed?  If you wish to work in a counseling
capacity, the clinical license is essential.  But, many of us do not work
in direct mental health therapy positions.  If you want to practice as a
medical social worker, in special populations, such as with elders or
people with intellectual disabilities, the Licensed social work will do
fine and does not seem to even require that license.  Social workers who
work in blind services may decide to do either or neither.  Because the
LMSW license is not widely recognized, there are only limited advantages to
it.

Becoming credentialled seems a urge by some.  I have had 3 folks supervised
for licensure as LCSW in PhD programs, feeling a need for that extra
credential.  I get folks asking me if they ought to become certified in a
variety of specialities.  I believe that some have merit and others have
little.  Play therapy is at the top of my list for certification, while
technique certifications are of a lesser importance.

Best of luck.

JD
JD Townsend, LCSW