[HumanSer] Accessible technology wish list

43210 at Bellsouth.net 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 25 00:09:57 UTC 2021

Hello, wise to look at this before you start the job.

While I can only speak for myself, here are my recommendations.

I find a braille watch helps me keep on track with time without little voices interrupting the flow of the session;  I take my Apple watch off for sessions.  Some folks like the vibrations of the Apple watch, but they don't give me a more exact time as I require.
I find that my MS Office skills always seem to need updating.
I find a flat bed scanner more functional in an office situation than one of the cell phone apps.
Like you, I have found that having a VR or Blind Services paid software engeneer who will assist in creating ease of use for the company's electronic medical records most helpful.
I'm not aware of what a "full EMDR kit" might be, but if this is for medical records, check that the practice you are joining are using as you might end up having to use their software.  All of the EMR programs are not purchased, they usually charge you by the client.

Please let us know how it goes.

JD Townsend, LCSW

-----Original Message-----
From: HumanSer <humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Sarah Meyer via HumanSer
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 12:17 PM
To: humanser at nfbnet.org
Cc: Sarah Meyer <sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com>
Subject: [HumanSer] Accessible technology wish list

 hi everyone,

if you could have any assistive technology in the world to help you perform your job as a therapist, what would you wish for? I’m getting ready to have a worksite evaluation for my assistive technology needs for my new job as a therapist with a group private practice. The most obvious things to me are a new laptop, JAWS and scripting for our electronic medical record system  if necessary, making sure that my braille display is functioning optimally. I’m also trying to decide between requesting a smart braille watch or a traditional braille watch for tracking time. I’m considering requesting a Braille embosser and software so that I can produce my own handouts and forms for myself to follow. I’m also requesting that VR assist in purchasing a full EMDR kit so that I have the equipment needed to use this treatment in an accessible way. I’m curious to know what others are using or would love to use as a part of their workflow and practice.

Sent from the  iPhone of Sarah Meyer