[Iabs-talk] NFB Scholarships

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Wed Dec 3 03:27:14 UTC 2008

Dear Students,

This article appeared in this month's Braille  Monitor.  It's not too early
to get started.  Illinois has always been  well-represented in the NFB
Scholarship Classes, so please share your talent and  intellect with the Committee by
submitting an application so we can keep up the  tradition.

Ronza

More Than Just Money for  School

The 2009 NFB Scholarship Program

by Anil Lewis

>From  the Editor: Anil Lewis is a member of the NFB board of directors and
president
of the National Federation of the Blind of Georgia. Last year he  was
appointed to
follow Peggy Elliott in chairing perhaps the most demanding  committee in the
Federation.
>From the time the coming year's scholarship form  is available on the NFB
Website
in early November, committee members are busy  encouraging their affiliates
to promote
it widely within the state, answering  student questions, interviewing
potential applicants,
and generally doing  what they can to encourage excellent students from
seniors in
high school  through graduate school to complete the NFB scholarship
application form
and  gather and submit the necessary accompanying documents.

In the spring the  committee meets for a grueling weekend of work to identify
the
thirty  strongest applicants. When all thirty winners have been reached and
confirmed,
the committee's job is to maintain contact with them to answer  questions and
resolve
problems before the convention. During convention  committee members try to
get to
know as many winners as possible so that they  can make wise decisions about
which
student will receive which  scholarship.

As we go to press, the 2009 process is beginning. In the following  article
Anil describes
the process and what participating in it can do for  students. This is what
he says:

Last year was my first serving as chairperson of the National Federation  of
the Blind
scholarship committee. Having been managed under such excellent  stewardship
since
its expansion in 1984, the program presented a tremendous  challenge to me.
Yet the
dedicated collaboration of veteran members of the  scholarship committee,
along with
a few new members, made this challenging  task a fulfilling and enjoyable
one. In
addition, the members of the 2008 NFB  scholarship class were accepting of my
nervous
renderings and gracious  through my logistical learning curve. They are
indeed an
impressive, dynamic  group of students, pursuing a diverse array of
postsecondary
degrees, and I  am certain they will accomplish great things.

We set out again, this time  to select our scholarship class of 2009. On
November
1, 2008, the application  process and forms for the NFB Scholarship Program
were posted
on the Web at  <www.nfb.org>. The process can be initiated with an online
application,
which we prefer, or you can download a printed application from  the site.
Those who
do not have access to the Web can request and receive an  application by
mail. In
addition to providing the application, the Website is  becoming a growing
resource
for information about the NFB Scholarship  Program. You can access direct
links to
information on past scholarship  winners, student resources, and lots more.
This will
expand into a broader  resource for general scholarship information in the
future.

We offer  thirty scholarships ranging from $3,000 to our $12,000 Kenneth
Jernigan
Memorial Scholarship. All applicants for these scholarships (1) must  be
legally blind
(which means both eyes); (2) must be pursuing or planning to  pursue a
full-time,
postsecondary course of study in a degree program at a  United States
institution
in the fall of the 2009-2010 academic year, except  that one scholarship may
be given
to a person employed full-time while  attending school part-time; and, (3) if
chosen,
applicants must participate  in the entire NFB national convention and in all
scheduled
scholarship  program activities. In addition to the award, each winner will
be brought
to  convention at Federation expense. The application deadline is March 31,
2009.
Students should submit only one application. The scholarship committee  will
decide
which scholarships the winners are eligible for and which each  will receive.

In order to be considered for a scholarship, students must  obtain and send
proof
of legal blindness and the additional supporting  documentation required for
a complete
application. This may be a print copy  of our Proof of Legal
Blindnessformthathas
been completed and signed by a  medical doctor or a professional in eye care,
such
as an optometrist or  ophthalmologist. Since other services offered to blind
Americans
also require  such proof, it will be to any student's benefit to retain a
master copy
of  this documentation. Alternative authoritative proof may be a letter
stating  the
student is legally blind signed by the president of an NFB chapter or
affiliate,
an itinerant teacher, a rehabilitation counselor, or some other  expert in
blind rehabilitation.

The scholarships are not restricted to NFB members. There is no  requirement
for an
applicant to be a member of the NFB in order to win a  scholarship. In fact,
many
applicants were not even aware of our organization  before applying for an
NFB scholarship.
However, although there is no  requirement for applicants to be members of
the NFB,
we do expect winners to  be committed to the principles of promoting blind
people
as contributing  members of society who can compete on terms of equality with
their
sighted  peers.

The NFB Scholarship Program is our investment in the future of blind  people
who demonstrate
scholastic aptitude, leadership, and service. If you  take a look at past
winners,
you will see that they have a wide range of  academic pursuits and
professional goals.
They are a cross section of race,  sex, and age. Winners are selected from
around
the country. In fact, there is  diversity in all demographic areas. However,
each
person chosen demonstrated  the ability to be successful academically,
possessed leadership
ability, and  was committed to community or public service.
My advice to any potential  applicant is to read the application information
carefully
and provide all of  the required information and supporting documentation.
Many applications
are  incomplete, so the committee is unable to consider them fairly. Obtain